Our response to COVID-19 is the most important issue at the moment. Guided by our values, we continue to respond quickly as this situation evolves. Our operations respect the wisdom and recommendations of government and health authorities. At the same time, we will respect the needs of our participants with a focus on helping them through this time and keeping them connected to supports, and to our community. We will innovate how we deliver our services with the health and safety of all as highest priority, and we thank our staff and participants for their courage during this uncertain time. How we provide these services will likely look different daily, and weekly.
For the week of March 17, 2020, here are the services that will be provided. This will be updated as situations change.
- Remaining open to current residents
- Phone check-ins with former residents
- Former residents supper on Tuesdays will change to take-out meals only
Brian Martin Housing Resource Centre
- Remaining open
Community Support Program
- Reduced services to current participants
- Decision on visiting hours will be communicated
- Remaining open for current residents only
- Former resident suppers will change to take-out meals only
- Closed to visiting
Just Us Women’s Centre
- Prison visiting has been suspended
- No peer support on Mondays
- Individual counselling to start by phone
- Trauma group start up is postponed
- A teleconference plan will be developed for addictions group
- Adult Basic Education group is cancelled
- Transitions to Work group onsite is cancelled; attempts will be made to provide some telephone group connection
- RBC Future Launch group assessment will be delayed
- Employment suppers are cancelled
- Employment Services available by phone – to be announced
- Computer lab will be available for reduced times – to be announced
- Responding to individual customer needs
Hungry Heart Café
- Remaining open 8-3 for the week of March 16 with social distancing measures in place
- Regular weekly menu now also available to-go
- Continuing to make Meals Squared for our participants
Home to Stay
- Responding on a call by call basis
Stella’s Circle Inclusion Choir
Choir rehearsals are cancelled until further notice.
No volunteers on our sites at this time.
- Seeking donations of gift cards to grocery stores and pharmacies
- Accepting cash donations
- Seeking travel sized hand sanitizers
What Else We Have Done
- Reviewed our programs and services so that we can maintain services in a reduced and different way that eliminates group settings and increases social distancing for the health and safety of both staff and participants.
- The Hungry Heart Café has prepared single-serve meals to be distributed to our participants, thanks to our Meals Squared program.
- Added screening questions of participants in relevant programs that continue to operate.
- Leadership team members have participated in numerous meetings and discussions with various community organizations and government officials to help coordinate our best response for our community.
- Coordinated social media messaging with the Department of Health and Community Services to help provide access to mental health supports and reduce misinformation.
- Cancelled group settings such as our annual all-staff meeting, and Stella’s Circle Inclusion Choir rehearsals.
- Asked employees not to come into work if they are not feeling well.
- Encouraged staff and participants to continue to practice good hygiene. We have taught participants about good hygiene practices, and distributed hand washing posters to our work sites and housing facilities.
- Increased cleaning and increased the availability of hand sanitizers.
- The CHANNAL Warm Line is available at 1-855-753-2560 9am to 12am daily. They are there to listen and help.
- The Mental Health Crisis Line is available 24/7 for anyone experiencing a mental health crisis 1-888-737-4668.
- Visit BridgetheGapp.ca to access several free, online mental health and addictions programs to support your mental health during COVID19, including a 30-day free mindfulness challenge, and The BreathingRoom.
- The Crisis Text Line is confidential, free and available to anyone in NL, any time. Text ‘Talk’ to 686868 and a trained volunteer will be available.
- For more information about COVID-19 and to complete an online self-assessment visit 811healthline.ca prior to calling 811.